Sunday, January 13, 2008

Road Trip

We are back home from our extended visit with family and friends. We had a fabulous time. The trade off was I would have to drive home by myself with the kids. Hmmm......the trip is usually 14 hours during the day! Yikes! I was intimidated, but wanted to spend the extra time with family, so I took the plunge.

It well amazingly well! I was able to make it in 13 hours with only 2 stops! Unbelieveable! The kids were so well behaved! That's what really makes or breaks the trip. Their bellies were filled with a nice breakfast before we left. I had a good supply of snacks in the car as well as water bottles. I prefer the small ones for the kids - the 8 ounce ones. It seems to satisfy their thirst yet they don't seem to guzzle it, so fewer potty breaks. =)

They received a new DVD from the holidays, which I saved to watch on the trip home. They also received a new book each just for the trip home from their Grandmom. She gave them to the kids as they were getting in the van. That helped to keep them occupied.

Other suggestions for road trips:
* Consider buying a few small gifts (books, workbooks, etc) for the ride and giving them our intermittently during the trip.
* Make sure kids are fed before trip and have gone to the bathroom.
* Bring goodies (food and drink) for the road trip. I try to keep it healthy - water, apples and granola bars; these are some of my kids' favorites anyway. This trip Grandmom also made us some yummy chocolate chip cookies for the way home. The cookies are another one of my kids' favorites and a big treat for all of us. =)
* Pre-plan as much as you can, but remain flexible. I planned to drive to a certain exit for my first stop. Kids did so well that I was actually able to go further than I planned - an unexpected bonus.
* Since we traveled this distance previously, we have some exits we like to stop. Keep a little notebook in the glove box. I write down some of the exits we stopped before that I liked and why I liked them. For example, we usually will stop for a meal and I plan for Chic-fil-a if I can. My son loves chicken and it gives them a place to stretch their legs and move around in the play area.
* This is a great opportunity to learn while you travel. Bring some books or maps, workbooks or worksheets about the states you are traveling through. My kids really enjoy this.
* Bring some music your kids enjoy and you also.
* Try an audio book from the library. Something the whole family can enjoy. Another idea is to rent an audio book from Cracker Barrel. You can rent from one location and return it to another location on your trip.

Relax, enjoy your family and the trip. Pre-plan your route, have adequate supplies and be flexible!

No comments: