Wednesday, September 12, 2007

So Many Gadgets, So Little Time........

There are so many gadgets in our society these days. It is amazing! I jumped on the internet. I love email and the internet! I love being able to keep in touch with old friends and far away friends in email! I also love the resource the internet is....to be able to jump on and "google" something, even back when you just did a seach - before it was "goggle-ing" or is it "googling?" (That second one didn't look right, that's why I made up the first one.) I love having the information I was searching for in minutes.

Now I stayed away when the cell phones came out. Eventually my mother-in-law purchased a TracFone for me. You buy the minutes as you go along. She felt as a mother with 2 small children that I needed one. I use it for emergencies or on the rare occassion that I am away from the kids to check home. Didn't Moms survive for many years without cell phones? Didn't all of our children too? It is convenient though when I am away from home.

I don't give out my TracFone number nor do I have the voice mail set up. This drives my Dad crazy! I tell him though, I just use it for emergencies. So, it's never on unless I am away from the kids, which isn't too often.

When cell phones became popular and people purchased them to keep in their pockets or on their belt, I thought they were annoying. People would take them with them everywhere they went. They were always ringing, always an interruption. I would see and hear people use them everywhere at the grocery store, on the streets, in other stores, on the beach, etc. I never wanted to be attached to one. I don't want to be found. I want to be able to go to the beach with the kids and get lost for the day.

I have noticed now that the cell phone use seems more controlled. Or people are exercising their options. You can put it on vibrate or turn it off. They have voice mail and someone can leave a message. Then you can check it at your convenience.

There are so many gadgets out there these days - Blackberries and IPhones too. Don't forget the IPods, which I really just call the new age walkman. =) Of course I know it can do more than our walkmans did and it has some great features. I don't own one though.

Of course, there are so many gadgets, you really just chose a few that work for you and your lifestyle! There are all available and options we have, you don't have to have them all or use them all either. Just pick the ones if needed that fit your lifestyle! Keep it simple!

No comments: