Monday, October 15, 2007

Organizing Paper

I love to read. I just finished Jean Chatzky’s book Make Money Not Excuses. I added it to my bookstore under finances. While reading it, it put me in to action mode! That’s exciting. I realized I needed to revamp my paperwork system. We experienced a lot of changes in the past year and a half and my paperwork system did not reflect those changes. It didn’t take me long either.

The kids and I spent the day at home on Friday. I started going through my old system and tossing, basically decluttering my current system. I like the system she had in her book. I also like how she put a time limit on how long to keep certain papers. I sometimes get a little lost with that, so having a time limit is great!

First you need a system in place. You may like Jean’s, if not, find one you do like. You need a file folder box, hanging file folders and manilla folders. Break down the different categories where you spend money. Remember to also include areas you invest in as well. Start going through the paperwork you have. Make a "keep and file" area & "take action" folder and bring a trashcan and shedder to your party! Start going through your paperwork and place it in the right category in “keep and file area” and file it away! I did it. I updated my paperwork system in 2 days!

After you get a system in place, you need to create a quick way to maintain that system. Once you have that, make it a routine and add it to your weekly routines list! I will pay my bills as they come in. I use to keep my incoming bills in a basket – BIG MISTAKE! That basket grew and grew…..it was breeding clutter! That was another accomplishment for me this weekend. I completely emptied and filed the items in the basket as well as shredded and threw away the rest of it. The basket is completely empty and I am washing the liner that was inside of it. I WILL NOT put any more paperwork in that basket. I will find a new use for that basket! =)

I was also able to differeniate the "bills to be paid" folder and "take action" folder. Now I have a folder for bills to be paid. I throw away as much paperwork as possible when it comes in the house. I immediately go though the mail and shred and toss the junk. I will now also have a “take action” folder. These are things that come in the mail that may not necessarily be bills…they always ended up in my basket. No longer. I have a separate folder for them. Once the bill is paid, it will be filed. Once the action has been taken and resolved, I will file and shred. I will also allot 15 minutes of time on Fridays as part of my Friday routine to look in the bill folder and take action folder and declutter and file as needed to maintain my system.

Take action! Develop a system - declutter, organize & simplify. Then develop a maintenance program. Add that program to weekly list of routines.

No comments: