Saturday, February 9, 2008

Beware Deodorants - Check Your Labels

Currently I am reading UltraMetabolism. It's a really good read. The author, Dr. Mark Hyman mentions that aluminum is a toxin and that it may be found in deodorants. I did not know aluminum could be found in deodorants! I stopped reading and went to check both hubby's deodorant and my deodorant. Hubby's was fine, no aluminum. I checked mine, which is new to me - Dove, I usually use Secret. The Dove came with a razor I purchased recently, so I'm using that. I checked the Dove - it contains aluminum. That's the main ingredient and only ingredient listed. It's full name on the deodorant is Aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex GLY. Hmmm, I am going to throw that out. I'll check my usual brand in the store - Secret for it's ingredients.

In doing some more reseach, I found "Though aluminium has been identified as a neurotoxin[1], several studies suggest that aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly is not absorbed through the skin as readily as other aluminium compounds such as aluminium chloride. This finding would suggest a significantly lower chance of toxic effects associated with aluminium, though still unproven. " Click here for the website that provided this info.

Click here for a list of deodorants that contain this ingredient.

Update: I went to my local health food store and found an asortment of deodorants that do NOT contain aluminum. I happily purchased one for me and my hubby to try out.

No comments: