Friday, February 29, 2008

Easier for Children to Shop and Pay in Mom & Pop Shop?

Today we were in the store. My daughter had brought some money with her - $2. She wanted to buy a special treat. She tucked it in her little purse and even asked me if she would have enough to make her purchase plus pay sales tax. We grocery shopped and she carefully scanned the aisles for her special purchase. She selected something and asked her brother if he would also like a special treat. So she planned on purchasing two items and checked with me to make sure she would have enough plus tax. After completing our grocery shopping, we arrived at the register to pay. I let her pay for her items first. Aaah, she was so proud to put those items up there on the conveyor belt and pay with her own money! The cashier was real nice and friendly. She and her brother sat on a bench at the end of the register and waited patiently for me as I finished bagging and paying for my purchases. I thanked the cashier for being so kind and reminisced with her. I remember bringing my own money and paying for purchases often as a child. It seems our world is so fast today that there aren't as many opportunities to do so. Is that the case? Or is it just in the big stores?

No comments: