Saturday, February 2, 2008

Recycling Plastic Bags

Well I completed my pantry project and I'm happy with the way it turned out. During this project, I stumbled upon many plastic bags! Most of them are from grocery shopping. Now, I do not believe the particular store in which I shop has a bin to recycle plastic bags. That is my next project - to talk to the manager and find out on my next shopping trip. I have never seen one outside the store.

I sent an email to a local Mom's group I am apart of, asking for help in recycling these plastic bags. Someone quickly responded that a local supermarket (that I do not shop at) has several of these plastic bag recycling bins outside of the store! I was all too happy to drive over there the next day and take my plethora of plastic bags for drop off! I kept about 10 bags at home in the pantry and I put 5 in my van...some to use in the future for wet clothes (we visit the beach often) and others to use as a trash bag for the van. All of the others I put in the bin. Wow, that made a lot of extra space in my pantry too!

I am continuing my search for recycling the plastic bags. I was in another supermarket today very close to my home and asked if they had a recycling bin for the plastic bags. The cashier did not know. It is a friendly place and she happily asked another employee. It turned out the answer was "yes." So I also found another location for recycling the bags.

This brings me to my next question: should I purchase and use fabric bags? If anyone does this, I'd love to hear from you! I just found this site about reusable bags and helping the environment. So I will be exploring it some more.

No comments: