Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bedtimes and Stories

The other day I spoke with 2 different groups of Moms. In both groups, the subject of kids and bedtime was discussed. We were talking about some of the challenges of getting the kids in bed and asleep....from the point of getting them prepped for bed until they were actually asleep. Our children go to bed early. They have always been early risers. Even when I let them stay up a little later, they still rise early, so we've continued to have early bedtimes for them. I feel pretty firm about their bedtime. After they are in bed and asleep, I finish up my daily chores, then spend some time with my husband and/or a book. It is our only time together alone during the day and I cherish it. So yes, I am firm on the bedtime and protective of my alone time with my husband.
Sometimes at bedtime, I'll cuddle in bed with the kids. We cuddle up together and talk about our day. My son is very creative and likes to make up stories. He asks me sometimes to do this at bedtime. We've honored his request at times, but I find he gets too excited! So I try to take some time out during the day for snuggles and quiet time to talk with each of my children. I also try to take some time out during the day for telling stories. This isn't reading. Rather we build some type of fort or tent, then get inside and snuggle together and use of imaginations to make up stories. My son really enjoys this. I still remember a time several years ago, when we received a large box in the mail. The kids hung onto the box and the next day it rained. In the afternoon, we made a fort with our box, got some blankets then snuggled inside and told stories. Thinking of it now, I will consider buying more blankets and pillows for the house over toys!

No comments: