Thursday, April 24, 2008

Life Unsimplified

My life has become unsimplified. Life got in the way. The last few weeks here have been hectic. The good news is I try to keep my life relatively simple, so when life gets in the way, I can work with it.
I love being home and having a flexible schedule. Two weeks ago that enabled me to take a trip to visit a sick friend on hospice care. I was able to give her a hug, sit and visit with her one last time. That was priceless.
We quickly went out of town on this trip. I packed us each a bag and the kids each packed a back pack of "their stuff" - toys and books. I traveled on this 14 hour trip solo with the kids. We did well on our travels. Packing up to return home was pretty easy as we hadn't brought much with us.
As sometimes is God's timing, we also experienced a blessing on this trip. Another dear friend of ours had her first baby. I was able to visit with her and the baby twice while on our trip. What a "circle of life" visit it turned out to be.
My flexible schedule has also allowed me the opportunity to answer a call to help another. I was asked by a mutual friend to help babysit her children for 2 days. Her husband was out of town. It was so nice to sit for the kids. I brought my own kids along as well. Her youngest is 18 months old. It was nice to have someone always need me again, always reaching for my hand and climbing in my lap. It was a strange reminder when I went to do the dishes, to bring her highchair over by the sink, so I could keep an eye on her and do some work. I gave her a piece of paper and a crayon to draw while she was in the highchair. I talked to her as I washed the dishes. It was a different experience living in someone else's shoes for a day. My children enjoyed having a little one around for the day. They were busy helping to entertain her and help her with things she needs. It was fun to watch them in action, helping a little one.
I'm so grateful for my simpler life and flexible schedule. It allowed me the opportunity to take advantage of things that really matter in life and help out when someone really needed me. I just had to move 2 appointments and pack our bags. Now, back to trying to keep life simple again.

No comments: