Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Exercise: Creating a Routine on Vacation

I walk daily. I committed myself to this habit almost two years ago. It is challenging to maintain this routine while I'm on vacation. Our vacation has been busy, catching up with friends and family. I've learned the quickest thing to do is to create a routine for exercise as soon as possible.
We are avid campers, so we are staying at a campground. The first few days, we were so busy, I did not walk. I'm at the point with my walking where I feel uncomfortable with not exercising. I had no plan. We had not even explored the campground for me to discover a routine.
Later in the week, we finally encountered some time to investigate the campground. I found a great loop to walk daily. The next day I walked the loop twice. Just discovering a path, led me to a routine. Here are some other suggestions for incorporating an exercise routine on vacation. Staying at a hotel? Find the exercise room right away. Develop a plan and stick to it as best as you can. Try something new, if a treadmill is available, give it a try. Walk an hour a day? Find a path or beach, walk 30 minutes, then turn around and walk back. Is there a pool? Pools are frequently found in summer vacation destinations - swim laps for a change.
Explore, create a plan, develop a routine and commit to it daily.

No comments: