Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Reading Mother


       The Reading Mother
       By Strickland Gililan

I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.


I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.


I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness blent with his final breath.


I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings--
Stories that stir with an upward touch,
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!


You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be--
I had a Mother who read to me.

I am proud to be a “reading mother.” I am feeding my children’s minds with  imagination and adventure. I would have loved to meet the author and his mother!
I came across this poem and wanted to share it. I had not heard it in it’s entirety before…only the last few lines. 

When I read this poem, it reminded me of the positive things I do offer my children. One of them is reading to them. It is a simple activity. It doesn't cost money. It does take time and I have time to offer.

This summer we are reading Pagoo, The Burgess Seashore Book and Christian Liberty Nature Readers. My hubby is reading aloud Man of the Family - the second of the books in the "Little Britches" series by Ralph Moody.

I am grateful for our homeschool journey.



No comments: