Thursday, July 19, 2012

Waterspout

We learned what a waterspout was yesterday...a tornado over water. It was over the intercoastal waterway between Jekyll Island and St. Simons Island (SSI) about 3:30 pm yesterday.

I was coming over the causeway from SSI. Everyone was pulling over and taking pictures. It was quite an unbelievable phenomena to witness. I had no idea what it was....only that it looked like a skinny tornado! People came out of Walgreens and stores along 17 to witness it and take pictures. It was really something.

I  had to do some research last night to learn what it was - so many people taking pictures - I figured someone posted it online!

Next time I know not to stop - keep driving! Glad the kids got to witness it.

We were at a different angle, but someone got some of it. From our angle, the sky and clouds were dark and stormy. It was headed our way.

Here are some pictures I found of it:
Picture from a distance
Close up picture with dark, stormy clouds 
Quick video - he captures it with the dark, stormy clouds. He takes the big picture and zooms in as well. 

No comments: