Thursday, September 24, 2009

Visit to the Dentist

Our visit to the dentist was a success! I am so excited and relieved. For those of you reading my blog for the first time, my son had developed a fear of the dentist's office. Our last 6 month appointment was physically and emotionally draining, very stressful. Something upset him during that visit. I was with him at the time and did not know what it was. He informed me a few weeks ago, in preparing for our upcoming appointment, it was the tooth counter that he feared.
On Thursday, we had his appointment. My son looked nervous when he went back. He held onto his sister and his comfort item. We tried something different - I sat in the lobby and waited...and prayed. I prayed for courage and peace for him.
The staff was great. I shared with them his fear of the tooth counter. The dental hygienist actually came back twice with updates!
Not only was it a success, he completed all the parts of the dental visit - polishing of his teeth, counting of his teeth, xrays, meeting with the dentist and the flouride treatment. He shared with me that they used the tooth counter in his mouth three times!
Afterwards we met with the dentist and reviewed the xrays - no cavities! Everything looks good. If you need assistance with your child going to the dentist, please check out my tips.

No comments: